Financial Literacy for Everyone
Follow Us
Worksheets & Quizzes
Canada’s Peter Pig’s Money Counter

NEW Canada’s Peter Pig’s Money Counter
Learning about money is fun with Peter Pig. Kids can practice identifying, counting and saving money while learning fun facts about Canadian currency with this interactive educational game.
Play now

free materials

Free Lesson Plans
Give your students a deeper understanding of money management with curriculum offered by Choices & Decisions: Taking charge of your financial life™.
Learn More

How to Replace Important Documents

How to Replace Important Documents

By Carla Hindman, Director of Financial Education, Visa Canada

If your wallet has ever been lost or stolen, you know what a pain it is to replace your driver's license. That goes double when other vital documents like your, passport, birth certificate or car registration are misplaced or destroyed in a natural disaster. Without the proper ID, you can't start a new job, buy a house, apply for insurance or a host of other common transactions.

Here's a guide on how to get copies or replacements for many common documents:

Birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates. These records come from the provinces where the events occurred, but you can get started by visiting the Service Canada website.

Passport. Immediately report lost or stolen passports to Passport Canada (at 1-800-567-6868) and also contact your local police to report the circumstances of the loss or theft. If it happens overseas, contact the nearest Government of Canada office abroad as well as the local police.

Driver's license, car registration. To learn how to replace your driver's license, vehicle registration or car title (which you'll need to transfer ownership), or to access other motor vehicle services, contact the Ministry of Transportation in your province.

Social Insurance card. These days, you may not actually need to replace a misplaced Social Insurance card. If you know your Social Insurance number, you generally can still collect Social Insurance benefits, get a job and apply for government benefits and services. However, if you do want to replace the card, you'll need to gather documents proving your identity and citizenship and complete an application via Service Canada. More information is available at

Health card. To replace a lost, stolen or damaged Health card, contact your provincial Ministry of Health.

School transcripts. If you need to order high school or college transcripts, it's best to contact the school's registrar or student services office directly for instructions.

For even more suggestions, Service Canada offers a great resource to help you replace the contents of a lost wallet online at

This article is intended to provide general information and should not be considered legal, tax or financial advice. It's always a good idea to consult a tax or financial advisor for specific information on how certain laws apply to your situation and about your individual financial situation.

<< Back to Practical Money Matters